Recently I signed up for a black room photography class at the Visual Art Center in Richmond. This will be my third photography class, so I wouldn't describe myself as an expert by any means. When I was twenty, I purchased everything I need to set up my own darkroom. At that age you don't really realize the logistics of your spur of the moment ideas...so my enlarger is still gathering dust in the attic. At one point in my life, I will have it set up, but right now it represent yet another unfinished project in my life.
Photography has always been a passion of mine. My camera allows me to capture a moment in time. It freezes not only the moment, but the emotion surrounding that event. There is something priceless about photographs. They tell a story about your life, what was or is important to you. They show where you have been and how your life has changed as a result of those experiences.
My teacher has assigned a "project" for this class. I was charged with coming up with a theme that I would stick to over the next few weeks. The goal is to capture and develop 10 photographs that adhere to this theme.
That night, after putting my son to sleep, I sat there and watched him. It was at that point that my theme emerged...the age of innocence. Over the next few weeks my aspiration is to capture images of children experiencing the joys of life. There are so many times in my life that I wish I could regain childlike wonder and spirit. Children have their entire future ahead of them, yet they don't fret over tomorrow or worry about how their life will turn out. They have faith in the future...in happy ever after. Children get excited about the simple things in life, when was the last time I truly reached that level of excitement? It makes you wonder when a person transforms into an adult? Is it our first job, the first time we lie to our parents, or cheat on a test, or do multiple disappointments over time create doubt and lead to our loss of childlike wonder?
I wish I could pinpoint the moment when a person shifts from childhood into adulthood. I imagine that it is different for everyone. I hope that I am able to delay this shift in my son for as long as possible, because once it is gone its gone.
I am hoping that these photographs over the next few weeks will remind me, and perhaps you, to rediscover childlike wonder...to remember the days of make-believe, the laughter of best friends for life, the warmth of cuddling on the couch with your parents, the excitement of the free balloons and a new stick of bubble gum.
I enjoyed the details of theme. It may be hard to capture, but you have the passion in your description that will lead you to some good images.
ReplyDeleteI really like your theme. I think the pictures that you have already done of your son will help complete this idea. It might not be easy to capture these images, but it is worth the effort to demontrate a picture of innocence.
ReplyDelete